Sunday, March 8, 2009

Russian San Francisco, Da!







San Francisco has quite a large Russian population and the "Richmond" district is a Russian power-spot. If you're at the vicinity of Geary and 20th, there are many Russian businesses.

Riding on the buses, you can hear Russian being spoken around you. Many are newly immigrated Russian Jews. I don't understand the economics of how someone can live their entire life in Russia and come to San Francisco to retire. San Francisco is a very expensive city and I wouldn't think a Russian pension would pay much, not to mention the cost of senior citizens healthcare!
The Russians are among the more enthusiastic supporters of public accordion. I've had requests for "Kalinka". 
Richmond District Library Children's Room

Clement Street at 21st Ave.


Here's video I took of the San Francisco Russian Center building. It's a few blocks from my house. The Tatar Community's Bina is in Burlingame, about 20 miles south of this building. This building is for the Russian Community of San Francisco. I've been inside many times for nightclub events and the annual Russian Festival. When I enter this building, I am an American visitor.

No comments: