In addition to mosques in Tokyo and Kobe, Tatars opened a mosque in Nagoya on 27 January 1937 as well.
According to the information in the book titled “ Japonya’da Turk Izleri” by Ali Merthan Dundar-pages 73 to 92 this is what it stated:
“In 1919 one of the cities Tatars immigrated in Japan was Nagoya. Because of its proximity to the industrial cities like Kobe and Osaka, Tatars preferred to settle there. Nagoya Tatars kept close contact with Kobe Tatars therefore some Tatar families moved from one to other. There were no reliable records kept to determine how many Tatars lived in Nagoya between 1919 and 1950.
According to Mian Abdul Aziz, the person who officially opened the mosque in Nagoya stated that there were approximately 30 Tatars living in Nagoya in 1935. Tatar researcher Larisa Usmanova stated their numbers as 50 between 1941 and 1945.
According to a report in 1933 held in Japanese archives stated the numbers as 20 children and 20 adults (Naimusho 1933:167). Additionally individuals like Halide Hanim (daughter of Nagoya Mosque Imam Huseyin Kilky )and Rustem Arslan Efendi, who are living in America, confirmed that Tatars were numbered 50 between 1934-1935.
According to a report prepared by American sources Tatars in Nagoya moved to Kobe on 25 March 1945. According to information supplied by Rustem arslan Efendi this move was forced upon Tatars by the Japanese authorities. Apparently Japanese military did not want any foreigners in Nagoya because of its strategic importance to Japanese military and air force during the war. As a result of this there are no documents available to confirm if the Nagoya Mosque was sold or disposed of by other means. However as a result of American bombardment the Mosque was burnt to the ground in March 1945..
Nagoya Idel-Ural Tatar Islamic School opened in 1933. Tatar Cultural Centre (Bunka Kyokai) also operated in the same building. When their numbers increased, Tatars found the premises to be inadequate and decided to build another centre. With funds collected Tatars bought a land located at 16 Banchi 25, 3 Chome, Chikusa-ku in April 1936. With the further funds collected from Tatars and other Muslims ( Mr. Ismettullah Haci Eferci Efendi donated 1000 yen for construction) they were able to construct the new centre in two years, which was used as mosque and school until 1945
Board of Directors were:
Mr. Timirbay Hamidullah (my grandfather) President
Mr. Husneddin Saidgali –Treasurer
Miss H Mansura-Secretary
Mr. D Sezgen-Vice President
Mr. Huseyin Kilky- Member (He was also an Imam and mahalle reisi)
Mr. G Shihater-Member
Rehmetler to Ziya Maski in South Australia for submitting this