Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bulat Zhighanshin - Dingez

This is good . Tatar pop music was so bad during the Soviet Era. I carried home a few records from Kazan that truly suck. I'd listen to them because I was so starved for ANY material in my language, but I yearned for them to be better. It's so refreshing to see young Tatar Pop Stars producing such high quality music. My father had reel to reel tapes of Tatar Halik Musik, Folk music. The records we had were pressed in China, but had Cyrillic writing in Tatar Language. I think from the 40's. We had books around the house published in Tatar Language, in Arabic script, published in Tokyo! Nobody here in California knew what a Tatar was, and many still don't. There were other books around, written in Turkish, for and about Tatars living in Turkey. and i'm still confused at times. I like Bulat's use of sound manipulating vocals. Some say it sounds like Cher, but I think it conjures the personal burp-talking machines that Tracheal- Bypass people need. Remember Freakazoids, Prepare to Dance?

No comments: