This is one of around 20 surviving mosques on the lands of the former Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It stands in the town of Navahrudak (Polish Nowogródek) in western Belarus. It was built in 1855 (a previous mosque in the town was built in 1792) for a Tatar community of 300 people. After the annexation of these lands into the USSR the mosque was turned into a living house and most of the Muslims emigrated to Poland. It was re-established as a mosque and renovated in 1993 by the current imam Ali Szegidewicz.