Friday, July 18, 2008

Rahmet Ebe


My grandmother Zuhre was born in Penza and passed away in Ankara and didn't stop singing for 5 minutes her entire life. She was the principal of a Tatar school in Manchuria. When our family was there, it was occupied by the Japanese and called Manchukou. They witnessed terrible things there, and for a time had to hide in the woods while their house was burnt. She still managed to keep on singing. Once when I visited her in Ankara, I bought a mandolin, along with a book on how to tune it. I tuned it up and she said, "Here, give me that". She picked it up and played the Man on the flying trapeze right off! This song I always called "Agidel Buylari",(I don't think that's accurate) and when she would smile at you special when she'd sing, "Begrek Matur Kizlari!"
boomp3.com

No comments: