Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kimono!


Now doesn't the Japanese word Kimono originate from the Tatar expression, Ma Ki Myny?
(Here, put this on!)
I think my uncle told me that once. He has a brilliant sense of humour.
My father is from Kobe, Japan and I'm told there was a sizable Tatar community there at one time. He went to an English Language School there and is very easy to find in school pictures. (He was so white in contrast to the Japanese and always a beaming smile). I have a few Tatar books published in Japan.
This book teaches you to read Arabic letters with the Tatar Language. I went through it several times with my mom, but I can't read it past about 35 pages or so..... Here's the cover and first 2 pages. The book is titled " TatarAlfbasy".


Here is another book from the same publishing house. This book has a dedication in it to me from my Grandmother. With the dedication, this has become one of my most sacred books. I will fully scan and have available the first "Tatar Alfbasy" book. It would be nice to make a flash application of the Alfbasy book, where mouseovers trigger an audio file of the Arabic script being read. It sounds like an intriguing project.

No comments: