Monday, July 21, 2008

Samovar Tech







Samovars can be beautiful. The technology behing them is intriguing. My Eni would make faces at her brother in the distorted reflections of the shiny finish, like a fun-house mirror.
Now what I don't understand is: You're supposed to leave the smoldering coals in the samovar? Years ago, I had a party and some uninvited guests at a party that went running out the door with a samovar from my house. I think they thought it was valuable. It wasn't Silver, just Chrome, and Electric!, like running out the door with a toaster. It was a Turkish Samovar and had a beautiful shape. Upon visiting Turkey the following year, I told the story and unexpectedly a beautiful samovar, an exact copy of the missing one, was gifted to my from my Aunt's parents. I was complete again, and very grateful.

This Samovar with the food in front of it is from a Tea House in Kazan
This lower samovar is from Morocco. They use them, but the tea has added Mint.

No comments: