Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lenin enjoys Kazan and Peremech




Lenin Museum 1962







Our group wasn't alone at our hotel in Kazan. (I took pictures of the TV because I'd never seen TV shows in the Tatar Language. The problem is that you can't hear the TV when you look at the pictures!) There were many other groups, speaking different languages. I was told that many of the people were on package vacations from other countries under the Soviet Umbrella, visiting places associated with the life of Lenin. He studied at Kazan University. (He wrote once, 'These Tatars are far far better educated than Russians.') We were led on a tour past his statue in the hall to the room where he studied and the desk where he sat. boring.
Someone slipped me this postcard folio of his life in Kazan. There are 24 postcards. I'm not sure, but I think this is the statue in front of Kazan University that locals have been referring to as "Young Leonardo DeCaprio". I've also included the postcard that shows Lenin's Samovar. (I think he had a few of them.) Hot tea warmed him after a delicious Peremech meal. He could gaze at his satisfied reflection in the Samovar's shiny finish. The problem is that it looks like he ate alone, facing the wall, like a child being punished.

No comments: