Thursday, July 17, 2008

San Francisco Beautiful


San Francisco is a city where you can spend your life admiring architectural details. All around, there are hand carved Victorian details, beautiful Doors and Gates, and Window Moldings and quaint gardens tucked into snug places. American cities like Providence, Rhode Island have big spaces between the old homes. Everyone, it seems has a garden. A friend pointed that out to me, along with the fact that Rhode Island has giant scary insects and San Franciscans don't generally screen their windows. In San Francisco, the houses are pushed right up against each other. Sometimes the detail is only in the facade, like a movie set. I've seen many recent pictures online of how Kazan looks these days. There are all sorts of beautiful buildings there that I didn't see in 1988 when I was there. This house is just around the corner from my apartment. When I walk past, I wish I were looking down from the rail, rather than looking up at it.

No comments: