Friday, September 12, 2008

Azerbaijan Food & NYC

The one book I brought home from the United Nations Bookstore in New York City was a big beautiful Azerbaijan cookbook. (I couldn't find any Tatar Books, of course). I met someone years ago and guessed that he was Azeri. He asked how I knew. I said, "You look like the Shah of Iran!".

This isn't from that United Nations cookbook, but doesn't it sound good?


I decided to take the train to New York. I bought an Amtrak ticket , boarded in Oakland, and sat on the train for five days. My welcome to New York City was looking out the window at a huge mob of black children throwing rocks and garbage at the train as we were pulling into the station. I stayed with a friend in Upper West Side who lived in a studio with a grand piano and it was fabulous.

No comments: